An esteemed group of NFL writers joined The MMQB’s Peter King for his annual NFL Combine Tweetup in Indianapolis. Fans asked questions and the panel answered.
“Disclosure: I am participating in the Verizon Fans Voices program and have been provided with a wireless device and six months of service in exchange for my honest opinions about the product.”
(My voice recorder died a few minutes into the tweet up. So many thanks to @Daniel_Doelling for taking some great notes during the tweetup and allowing me to share them here. Also kudos to Will Carroll (@injuryexpert) for another great hosting job.
There’s also a video at the bottom of the post via the @1070thefan to their Google+ hangout online if you want to watch the tweet up in its entirety.)
- Re: Browns/Harbaugh – “Sounds like the 49ers never ever thought there was anything to this” via @SI_PeterKing
- “Teams won’t sign Chris Johnson to be a #1 back” – @SI_DougFarrar
- Andre Williams tells you everything you need to know about the RB position. The RB position is severely devalued – @SI_PeterKing
- Breakout players, per the Tweetup panel: Jerrel Jernigan Marcus Wheaton.
- FWIW, @AdamSchefter just admitted his mistake in calling out Pead to be his breakout player of 2013. #Rams
(This got a nice chuckle from parts of the audience, mostly Rams fans. Honestly, I was quite impressed that Adam Schefter actually remembered his AFC and NFC picks. For what it’s worth, his AFC breakout player was Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders.)
- In conversations with coaches and GMs from the combine, more and more teams will view nickel corners as starting players. – @SI_PeterKing
- People in the NFL this yr will be more interested (1 GM told me this yesterday) slot WRs are going to become more popular – @SI_PeterKing
- More and more premium receivers will be playing back and at HB depth – @SI_DougFarrar
- Next topic at the Indy Tweetup: franchises in London.
- Probably will lead to Rams in LA…
- There are owners in the NFL determined to have games in London every year. – @SI_PeterKing
- I think it would suck for the team, but be great (and he used the world brilliant) for the game’s growth – @PatMcAfeeShow on London games.
- If it means adding revenue, the league will do it. – @AdamSchefter on London game.
- . @SI_PeterKing Thinks there ‘absolutely should be” NFL games in Mexico City.
- Why is PIT keeping Big Ben? @AdamSchefter says Two teams – Jags and Raiders – considered trading for him last offseason.
- Two teams to watch on Hakeem Nicks: CLE and CAR – @AdamSchefter
- On no consensus number #1 or 2 player in this year’s draft: @AdamSchefter says it’s not atypical for this.
- . @nfldraftscout, without hesitation, says he’d take Teddy Bridgewater as his first pick.
- Is Kroenke just playing games? Leverage? Real? – question from @ThePigskinArch
(See the Google+ Hangout starting at the 1:10:40 mark. There are more details there and goodish news for St. Louis Rams fans.)
- Re: Kroenke land purchase ” @LATimesfarmer is convinced this is total leverage deal to get best deal in STL & not move them”- @SI_PeterKing
- . @SI_PeterKing doesn’t think the Rams will move.
- . @Aaron_Nagler agrees with @SI_PeterKing; doesn’t think the Rams will move. Kroenke’s LA land purchase is a leverage move.
- . @RUSSLANDE “Medicals and interviews at the Combine will change a player’s draft stock dramatically”
- . @SI_PeterKing says he would only trade Kirk Cousins to a team offering a high 2nd round pick or future 1st rounder.
- If it had to be said… “Draft grades the day after the draft are dumb” – @SI_PeterKing
- Vertical jump and cornerback size has been the only small correlation between Combine metrics and draft grade – @JeneBramel
If you’re interested in what transpired at last year’s tweet up here’s my write-up here.